Professional Development Director - Corporate/Transactional
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
September 27, 2018
New York, New York
Full Time - Experienced
Attorney Professional Development, Professional Legal Management
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP requires a Director in the Professional Development & Training Department in our New York office. The Director will primarily be responsible for training and development for our Corporate and Transactional Departments, including the oversight and development of curricular and program design, program delivery and program evaluation. The Director will likewise assist with programming in our overseas offices. Director will also be responsible for the innovative development and execution of new professional development initiatives. In addition to attorney training programs, the Director will assist with the creation and delivery of client CLE programs.
The Director will report to firm’s Chief Professional Development Officer and serve as a member of the firm’s Professional Development & Training Committee. The Director will work extensively and proactively with partners, counsel and associates to identify and anticipate training needs, create in-house programs and deliver them using effective education methods. The Director will also identify, interview and hire outside presenters as needed and make our attorneys aware of valuable external training opportunities. The Director will likewise be highly engaged in other departmental managerial and administrative tasks and training initiatives.
- Innovate new programs and curricula and develop new initiatives as well as refresh and deliver the current curricula and programs for attorneys in the departments and groups identified above;
- Serve as the principal Professional Development & Training liaison with Corporate Department, including its various group practice areas, as well as the Transactional Department and non-US offices regarding professional development and CLE issues;
- Work closely with, in particular, colleagues in the Legal Personnel, Recruiting and Practice Development Departments to ensure that corporate and client training aligns with and advances the firm’s broader strategic goals;
- Contribute to planning and delivering conferences or specialized programs for groups of more experienced associates on topics such as practice management, presentation skills, business development, etc.;
- Maintain ongoing communication with and regularly update all relevant parties at the firm, e.g., department chairs, group heads, administrative chiefs, etc., regarding Professional Development & Training activities, soliciting both input and feedback;
- Keep abreast of current developments, both substantive (including types of deals/matters on which our corporate attorneys are working) and pedagogical, in order to promote relevant, leading-edge programs for our attorneys and clients;
- Ensure that the Corporate curriculum aligns with the firm’s deal flow needs.
- J.D. degree, with 3-7 years of corporate/transactional legal practice experience, preferably in a medium-large law firm;
- 5+ years of experience working in Professional Development or a related area
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with lawyers and staff throughout the firm, as well as with clients, regarding curricular and program development, innovation and implementation and other logistical/administrative issues;
- Outstanding organizational, managerial and analytical skills, with ability to manage projects independently and delegate work and supervise staff, as appropriate;
- Outstanding initiative, leadership and problem solving capabilities, including ability to gain commitment of relevant parties, motivate and advance new training initiatives;
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral;
- Strong technology skills and interests;
- Demonstrated interest in and enthusiasm for professional development and training and/or adult education and learning;
- Prior experience in legal training or related professional development field;
- Knowledgeable about CLE requirements, a major plus.
Disclaimer Statement The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of the work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualification required of employees assigned to this job.
Internal Number: 1061-159
About Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP is a firm of more than 900 lawyers who collaborate with clients to help them solve their most challenging legal problems and achieve their business goals. Widely recognized as having leading litigation and corporate capabilities, the firm has developed equally strong practices in the areas of bankruptcy and corporate reorganization, employee benefits and executive compensation, finance, intellectual property, personal representation, real estate and tax law. The firm has an unwavering dedication to representing those in need, and its pro bono efforts continue to benefit individuals and society.
- See more at: https://www.paulweiss.com/about-the-firm.aspx#sthash.LJCBMnUu.dpuf