The Professional Development & Diversity Manager works closely with the Director of Diversity and Inclusion, attorneys and staff to execute the firm-wide Diversity and Inclusion strategy which includes the recruitment, retention, development and advancement of women and diverse attorneys and staff in the firm. The Manager develops and implements substantive legal training and other professional development programs, both locally and firm-wide. Works closely with the training and development and legal personnel teams to ensure the continued professional development of the firm’s attorneys. The Manager will leverage extensive knowledge and experience in diversity and inclusion management to develop and implement innovative initiatives that underscore the firm’s commitment to creating an inclusive workplace. The Manager will also work proactively with attorneys and staff supporting diversity and inclusion efforts across all firm offices.
Leads the development of responses through professionalism and quality service to internal firm stakeholders as well as external stakeholders such as clients, members of the media, and other strategic partners.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
- Works with the Director of Diversity and Inclusion, to execute the firm’s diversity and inclusion strategy including evaluating and assessing the effectiveness of on-going efforts.
- Works with Professional Development and Training Managers and other members of the Legal Personnel team to support and address training needs, develop curricula, and implement programs to maximize effectiveness and quality.
- Keeps abreast of trends and innovations related to diversity and inclusion in the legal profession and other professional services organizations to identify and develop new initiatives, approaches, and programs related to recruitment, retention, development and advancement of women and diverse lawyers.
- Employs strong data analytics skills to assess a range of diversity and inclusion metrics and presents data in an effective manner for senior leaders.
- Provides direction and guidance to Recruiting, Professional Development, Training, and Practice Management teams, Human Resources, and other staff throughout the firm to incorporate diversity and inclusion into all functional areas.
- Organizes and implements all diversity and inclusion training programs.
- Works with internal presenters to deliver effective training, including training for summer associates, first year attorneys and firm wide orientations and retreats.
- Supports internal and external requests, including clients and media, for demographic information, surveys, strategy and results, and other communication requests related to diversity and inclusion.
- Manages relationships with strategic partners such as diverse bar associations and other community and professional organizations, suggest new organizations for partnership.
- Cultivates and fosters relationships with women and diverse attorneys in the firm.
- Recommends new approaches and procedures to improve efficiency of department.
- Assists with annual budgeting process for Diversity and Inclusion efforts.
- Serves as back-up to the Director, Diversity and Inclusion, as necessary.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as assigned.