Morrison & Foerster LLP, an Am Law 50 law firm with 16 offices worldwide, has an opening for a Law School Recruiter within our Atorney Recruiting Group in our Washington, DC office.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Guided by department objectives and priorities, primarily responsible for managing the Law School Recruiting Program, Summer Associate Program, and Fall On-Campus Interviewing Program. Assesses program effectiveness and recommends enhancements for improvements. Secondary back-up support to lateral recruiting for the Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia offices. Ensures client service and satisfaction are attained in all areas of position.
General Recruiting and Hiring
- Under the direction of the Attorney Recruiting Manager, works independently and with other members of the Attorney Recruiting team to implement diversity plans for attorney recruiting that support the Firm’s objectives.
- Applies general seasoned knowledge and specialized recruiting knowledge to review and screen resumes and applications; conduct phone screen interviews; distribute paperwork of qualified applicants to appropriate parties; check references of select applicants, and maintain applicant files.
- Establishes strong relationships with prospective hires to ensure substantive, ongoing contact with the Firm, and to promote desired acceptance rates.Provides ongoing applicant communications, guidance, informational and policy assistance, etc.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with internal and external clients including attorneys, staff, school Career Services Counselors, outside agencies, other recruiters, etc.
- Acts as ambassador for the Firm in all aspects of attorney recruiting, presenting a consistently professional and positive demeanor.
- Responsible for the preparation of all relevant Taleo notices and other documentation for new hires; proactively ensures that all necessary departments and parties are informed/notified to facilitate new hire arrival and orientation.
- Substantively participates in firmwide recruiting meetings and on committees.
- Would be required to work in Northern, VA office twice a month or more, as needed.
Primary Responsibilities: Summer Associate Program
- Under the direction of the Attorney Recruiting Manager, facilitates all aspects of the Summer Associate Program: orientation and training, scheduling, quality and quantity of all summer associate assignments, and initiates the midsummer and final performance review process. Coordinates the final execution the admin/risk management exit process.
- Works under the general direction of the Attorney Recruiting Manager to provide input into the planning for the Summer Associate Program; coordinates meetings, develops meeting agendas, creates communication plans, drafts communications, etc.
- Supports the Attorney Recruiting Manager in working closely with the Office Hiring Partner and Practice Group Recruiting Partners in the selection of associate summer liaisons; proactively provides liaisons with appropriate information, training, planning support, etc.
- Works closely with recruiting partners, Summer Chairs, Summer Associate Hiring Committee and Attorney Recruiting Manager to facilitate the Summer Associate offer process.Responsible for the administrative execution of the offer process.
- Responsible for the tactical planning of the Summer Associate Program events, with availability to attend all planned events.
Primary Responsibilities: Fall On-Campus Interviewing (OCI) Program
- Responsible for assisting with the management of the Fall On-Campus Interviewing Program for the office including: resume review, scheduling call back interviews and gathering feedback, coordinating follow up on offers and creating the fall cultivation plan, and managing office recruiting funnel and acceptance rates.
- Manages the Fall On-Campus InterviewingProgram for designated schools including: distribute resumes to appropriate parties upon receipt from schools; draft first version of on-campus interviewers; prepare interview packets and schedules for on campus interviewers; organize call back meetings for on campus interviewers and provide the related interview paperwork. Demonstrates a sound understanding of the firm’s recruiting position at various law schools.
- Works closely with recruiting partners, associates, and Attorney Recruiting Manager to develop and encourage attorney participation in the Fall On-Campus Interviewing Program. Ensures that all key stakeholders are informed at all times.
- Applies experience to plan and coordinate various receptions and/or dinners at various schools and as part of On-Campus Recruiting.
- Responsible for the preparation of offer letters; assists in the coordination of tracking and compiling statistics of interviews, offers made, rejections, offers declined and all other fall recruiting records.
- Under the direction of Firmwide Recruiting and Attorney Recruiting Manager may assist in preparing and participating in OCI Interviewer Training Programs; may serve as the primary resource to On-Campus Interviewers through established and developed knowledge of recruiting processes.
- Represents the firm at various law schools at the request of firmwide management. Leads on-campus briefing, debriefing sessions and completion of all summer associate offers.
- Acts as an “Ombudsman” for certain schools.
Secondary Responsibilities: Lateral Recruiting and Hiring
- May assist the Attorney Recruiting Manager in the development of talent pipelines and strategic recruitment plans for high demand practice groups.
- Provides secondary support to the Attorney Recruiting Manager in the approval and posting processes for positions, including coordinating with practice groups to develop job descriptions, obtaining approval for new positions from the Department Chairs, and contacting agencies.
- At the request of the Attorney Recruiting Manager, may also collaborate in managing the candidate application process including: screening and reviewing resumes, using judgment and sound understanding of practice needs and standards; checking references of select applicants; coordinating applicant performance evaluations; routing resumes; scheduling interviews; greeting candidates; tracking candidate evaluations and offers; maintaining applicant files.
- May provide back-up support to the Attorney Recruiting Manager in the tracking of lateral recruiting expenses and assist in the preparation of the annual recruiting budget. May process various payments and reimbursements.
- Under the direction of the Attorney Recruiting Manager, may prepare offer letters for selected lateral associates and provide follow-up with candidates who have been offered employment.
- Serves as back-up support for the Attorney Recruiting Manager in the preparation of all relevant Taleo notices and other documentation for new hires; oversees that all necessary departments and parties are informed/notified to facilitate new hires arrival and orientation.
- At the request of the Attorney Recruiting Manager, may assist in facilitating and/or supervising lateral hire and fall associate arrival and orientation; review orientation material to ensure it is current; recommend updates as appropriate; and assist in production of new lateral attorney orientation material.
Data Technology, Tracking and Reporting
- Responsible for the overall data management of all applicant records in Taleo.
- Monitors and tracks key recruiting data and compiles statistics of attorney new hire data; generates reports upon request; manages the law school recruiting expenses and assists in the preparation of the annual recruiting budget.
- Manages and develops the budget for the Summer Associate Program, OCI Season and general recruiting; tracks costs, and maintains appropriate cost controls to ensure budget is met and budget is appropriately allocated.
- Responsible for the management of the callback interview scheduling system at the local office level. Responsible for local callback and rules parameters.
Client Service, Confidentiality, and Safety
- Consistently promote and model the Firm's Client Service Principles in leadership, teamwork, work product, and personal interaction.
- Ensure compliance with the Firm's Information Handling Policy, including safeguarding confidential and personal information, and reporting any suspected breach appropriately and immediately.
- Adhere to the Firm's General Safety Practices and any unique safety practices for department and building.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Minimum of three to four years of Recruiting or Human Resources experience required.
- Previous experience in a law firm very desirable.
- Remain current in industry trends in attorney recruiting and the legal profession.
- Ensure expertise in relevant technology; proactively use most current technology to further teamwork, client service, and efficiency.
Teamwork and Applied Skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with individuals at all levels within and outside the firm.
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team environment demonstrating reliability, dependability and flexibility is essential.
- Excellent organizational, process, and follow-through skills.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and work independently.
- Strong technology skills in MS Office products such as Word and Excel. Familiarity with Human Resource systems and relational databases preferred.
- Ability to work under pressure and critical deadlines. Ability to handle stressors related to the position and high interpersonal interaction.
- Ability to keep confidential any information, observations or viewpoints regarding Firm business matters.
Who We Are
At Morrison & Foerster, our culture is defined by our deeds. We’re passionate about what we do. We’re equally passionate about how we do it. We resist hierarchies and operate within a model of respect — for our colleagues, their ideas, and the differences that make us stronger. We encourage you to learn more about who we are, and what we do .
Should you find you’re ready to do the best work of your life, we encourage you to let us know!