This is a Vice President-level position in the Viacom Media Networks’ Business and Legal Affairs New York office providing day-to-day business and legal affairs services for MTV, VH1 and Logo with a focus on development and production for long form series programming. This person will handle the negotiation and drafting of a heavy volume of fast-paced production matters for in-house and third-party productions. These tasks require a working knowledge of intellectual property law, including Copyright and Trademark, Rights of Publicity, and employment law issues as well as Viacom Media Networks’ company policy in connection therewith. The department works closely with the networks’ Production Management, Programming, Talent, Publicity, Music & Media Licensing, Labor & Employment, Risk Management, Pre-Broadcast Content Review, Intellectual Property & Litigation, Marketing and Ad Sales departments. This position supervises a department assistant. This position does not manage a budget.
Primary duties will include:
- Negotiating and drafting production agreements (e.g., production services agreements, joint promotion agreements, talent, venue and location releases.)
- Managing a range of production-related legal matters.
- Managing and training junior level personnel.
- Managing the relationship with certain business group executives.
- Managing legal kick-off calls and coordinating distribution of production agreements to third party production companies.
- Reviewing and approving legal contracts for execution by management.
- Overseeing contract administration and compliance.
- Drafting contract summaries and assisting with other special projects as requested by senior business and legal affairs executives.
- Providing on-site coverage for original programming when necessary.
- Performing other day-to-day business and legal affairs-related tasks as needed and as assigned by senior business and legal affairs executives.