The Senior Assistant Dean, External Relations is the senior Law School administrator tasked with building a consistent and compelling image of the Law School to internal and external audiences in ways that expand and enhance the school’s reputation. The Senior Assistant Dean oversees Development, Alumni Relations, and Digital Media to increase collaboration and to strengthen relationships among stakeholders to achieve enhanced alignment with Silicon Valley, increased donations, improved alumni engagement, and better employment outcomes for graduates.
1. Development • Oversee Development activities: provide leadership and strategic guidance to professional staff responsible for Law School advancement, including major gifts, annual giving, stewardship, capital projects, scholarships, curricular initiatives and Law School/University capital campaigns. • Ensure close collaboration with University Relations on all aspects of Law School advancement efforts. • Manage a limited portfolio of major gift prospects and implement a highly-focused program to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospects for gifts between $100,000 and $2,000,000. • Cultivate and manage Law Advisory Board, coordinate meetings, assist committees, provide strategic direction and support to Executive Committee. • Supervise Senior Director of Development and Director of Development.
2. Alumni Relations • Oversee Alumni Relations activities: provide leadership and strategic guidance to professional staff responsible for developing and implementing alumni engagement and external relations programs. • Create and implement a plan for enhanced collaboration between Career Management and Alumni Relations, in order to increase alumni participation in events, mentoring and student professional development. • Supervise Director of External Relations.
3. Marketing/Communications • Oversee Digital Media team: provide leadership and strategic guidance on a comprehensive web, social media and branding strategy. • Conceptualize and prepare principal print and online publications, including admissions viewbook, program brochures, and special event materials. • Write and edit outgoing communications on behalf of the Dean’s Office and Law School. • Work closely with University Marketing and Communications to leverage design resources and media relations. • Work with Student Services Office to coordinate event master calendar. • Supervise Web Designer and Webmaster (to be hired).
4. Career Management • Work closely with the Office of Career Management: provide strategic guidance to professional staff responsible for carrying out career counseling to coordinate and leverage development and related activities to the benefit of potential law school job seekers. • Participate in alumni employer outreach.
5. Other Duties as Assigned • Provide strategic direction for the Law School, working closely with the Dean, faculty and senior leadership group. • Serve on Law School committees such as the Dean’s Staff Advisory Council, Committee on Diversity & Inclusion, Alexander Prize Committee. • Manage department budgets. • Assist with board development (Law Advisory Board, Alumni Ambassadors, Kasner Symposium Planning Committee, etc.). • Represent the Law School locally, regionally and nationally through active involvement in professional and legal associations. • Oversee special projects as needed, occasionally involving external consultants such as writers, editors, designers, photographers and IT staff.
GENERALGUIDELINES • Recommends initiatives and implements changes to improve quality and services. • Identifies and determines cause of problems; develops and presents recommendations for improvement of established processes and practices. • Maintains contact with customers and solicits feedback for improved services. • Maximizes productivity through use of appropriate tools; planned training and performance initiatives. • Researches and develops resources that create timely and efficient workflow. • Prepares progress reports; informs supervisor of project status; and deviation from goals. Ensures completeness, accuracy and timeliness of all operational functions. • Prepares and submits reports as requested and required. • Develops and implements guidelines to support the functions of the unit.
About Santa Clara University School of Law
Santa Clara University School of Law, one of the nation’s most diverse law schools, is dedicated to educating lawyers who lead with a commitment to excellence, ethics, and social justice. Santa Clara Law offers students an academically rigorous program including certificates in high tech law, international law, privacy law, public interest and social justice law, as well as numerous graduate and joint degree options. Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, Santa Clara Law is nationally distinguished for its faculty engagement, preparation for practice, and top-ranked programs in intellectual property.