The Assistant Office Administrator works closely with the Office Administrator to manage the day-to-day operations of the office in all capacities.
Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Manage Administrative Assistants, Word Processing, Office Services and Reception Departments.
· Maintain thorough knowledge of the Firm’s policies and procedures and recommend and implement updates and changes.
· Assist the Office Administrator in maintaining the Northern California Lawyers and General Staff Handbooks.
· Weekly meetings with Office Administrator re status, operations and productivity of support services.
· Promote both internally and externally good HR practices and demonstrate a working knowledge of CA and local employment laws.
· In conjunction with the Office Administrator, conduct disciplinary meetings, issue verbal and written warnings.
· In conjunction with the Office Administrator, conduct staff evaluations and recommend salary adjustments.
· Liaise with preferred recruiting agencies for all general staff recruiting.
· Conduct recruitment interviews and making hiring and salary recommendations.
· Conduct orientation and training for new employees.
· Assign administrative assistant work overflow and coordinate special projects.
· Respond to lawyer requests and work with legal staff to address office needs.
· Monitor attorney-administrative assistant staffing ratios and workflow.
· Assume all Office Administrator duties (including office operations, human resources, facilities, accounting and computer support) when Office Administrator is unavailable
· Strong operational, leadership, organizational, technical, and interpersonal skills.
· Must be able to work collaboratively with lawyers and staff, demonstrating teamwork and a positive attitude.
· Flexibility in daily schedule to accommodate unexpected situations.
· Thorough knowledge of local labor law and office operations.
· Demonstrate good judgment.
· Must be punctual and reliable.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Experience with Workday preferred.
· Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and other applications as needed.
· Ability to proofread typed material for typographical, spelling and grammatical errors.
· Ensure confidentiality of all the Firm’s and clients’ documentation and information.
Minimum of 5 years’ office management experience in a professional firm environment.
Minimum of 3 years managing and supervising client service departments.
About Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP is a global law firm with more than 900 lawyers in offices in New York, Northern
California, Washington DC, London, Paris, Madrid, Hong Kong, Beijing, São Paulo and Tokyo. Since its
founding more than 165 years ago, Davis Polk has established itself as the firm of choice for major
corporations and financial institutions worldwide on their most complex and often precedent-setting
transactions and significant litigation matters of all kinds. Our lawyers are recognized globally among the
very top practitioners in their respective fields, and our non-legal professional staff shares the same
commitment to excellence and service that has long been the hallmark of our firm.