Attorney Professional Development, Professional Legal Management
The manager will work closely with the partners in the Tax group to oversee work allocation, performance and utilization, and social events. In addition, this individual will collaborate with other members of the Professional Development team to implement our performance review process, lateral integration and new parent support.
· Keep track of and staff vacation coverage for Counsel and Associates.
· Maintain department “key dates” calendar which tracks social events and other Professional Development events.
· Keep track of major life events for Tax Department lawyers.
· Monitor utilization and track associates’ experience in order to maximize the variety of work, increase exposure to different partners and senior associates, and develop new skills.
· Assist with monthly CLE programs as needed.
· Collaborate with others in the Professional Development Department to manage the performance evaluation process for Tax associates and counsel.
· Manage the Career Advisor Program for the Tax Group.
· Review exit interview data and create year-end summary reports; make recommendations for improving associate recruiting and retention
POST-PARENTAL LEAVE SUPPORT
· Provide support to new parents; manage re-integration and conduct regular check-in meetings. Ensure that new parents are aware of firm policies and other resources available to assist.
· With other Professional Development managers, meet regularly with associates to assess morale, identify training needs, answer questions and address concerns. Share information with Career Advisors when appropriate.
· Assist Tax Group with planning regular social gatherings.
· Assist with staffing of the “shelf” and other designated assignments as needed.
· Assist with secondment requests, follow-up and re-integration, Professional Development webpage; Associates Committee
· Miscellaneous ad hoc projects.
Excellent communication skills, both written and oral. Able to propose creative solutions to challenging problems. Exceptional organizational skills. Determination and ability to project confidence in high-stress environment essential. Familiarity with Excel and comfortable creating and presenting PowerPoint presentations expected. Must have excellent leadership skills and be able to inspire confidence among associates and firm leaders. Availability during standard office hours is essential and the ability to respond to email promptly outside of standard office hours and on weekends is expected. Ability to maintain confidentiality of personnel and other sensitive matters is critical.
JD and/or Master’s degree preferred. A minimum of three to five years’ post-graduate experience in a law firm or professional services organization expected. Familiarity with tax a plus. Experience with collaborating with partners in a large law firm setting expected.
About Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP (including its associated entities) is an elite global law firm with world-class practices across the board. Clients know they can rely on Davis Polk for their most challenging legal and business matters. Our approximately 1,000 lawyers located in 10 offices in the world’s key financial centers and political capitals collaborate seamlessly to deliver exceptional service, sophisticated advice and creative, practical solutions. Visit davispolk.com.