Diversity Management, Professional Legal Management
4 Year Degree
BakerHostetler is seeking an experienced professional to provide inclusion and diversity vision and leadership and play a significant role in setting and executing the firm’s inclusion and diversity goals. The Director of Inclusion and Diversity (“I&D Director”) will be responsible for taking the Firm’s commitment to I&D to the next level and transforming the Firm’s workforce to meet our future client and community needs. This individual will act as a trusted advisor to firm leadership on how to address the unique challenges faced by our diverse and female attorneys and staff; ensuring that we are a best place to work for all on our team. This position will report to the Chief Practice Partner and work closely with our Chairman.
The Firm’s Commitment to Inclusion and Diversity
At BakerHostetler, we embrace people of all backgrounds as essential to the conduct of business in today’s world. Our existing Inclusion and Diversity (“I&D”) initiatives are led by our Firmwide I&D Committee, the Chairs of the Firm’s Inclusion & Diversity Committee and Women’s Committee respectively, and our I&D Coordinator. Many of our offices have local I&D Chairs and I&D Committees to build and maintain an inclusive profession at the office level and to develop and host I&D programming that impacts the community.
We recruit and develop diverse lawyers because we know it promotes the best in community, depth and leadership. Our commitment is demonstrated through targeted recruiting of diverse lawyers, active participation in minority job fairs, the appointment of diverse and women lawyers to our Hiring Committees, the Paul D. White Scholarship program, our Diversity Fellowship Program, our Biennial Diverse Attorney Retreat, and through support of and attorney leadership within a wide-array of professional and community activities in conjunction with diverse organizations across the country. Our longtime support of veterans and military service dates to the firm’s inception when co-founder Newton D. Baker made the difficult decision to take a leave of absence and accept President Woodrow Wilson’s request to serve as Secretary of War during World War I.
In 2018 and 2019, the firm was honored in Working Mother’s “Best Law Firms for Women,” recognizing firms that utilize best practices in retaining and promoting women lawyers. In 2019, BakerHostetler was selected as one of the Top Performers by the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD). The Top Performers are those member organizations that are most active in LCLD in their continued commitment to building more diverse organizations and an inclusive profession. BakerHostetler is proud of our lawyers nominated and recognized as leading champions of diversity by Chambers at their 2019 Diversity and Inclusion Awards, including “Minority Lawyer of the Year.”
Diversity throughout the firm and in our leadership provides role models for our lawyers and enhances our ability to provide diverse staffing at an experienced level on client projects. Embracing these differences and fostering a supportive, inclusive environment allows us to bring together a variety of perspectives and experiences to provide creative solutions for the challenges our clients face. It also helps our attorneys find balance among their careers, families and community activities. Having a greater understanding and appreciation for issues of inclusion, race, gender and culture makes us better attorneys, a stronger firm and a more inclusive, respectful place to work.
By harnessing inclusion and diversity, colleague engagement, and the Firm’s goals, the I&D Director will lead the comprehensive effort to further develop and implement the Firm’s inclusion and diversity strategies and programs with emphasis on attracting, retaining, and promoting an inclusive and diverse workforce that meets the talent needs of the Firm’s evolving business and that aligns with the Firm’s Strategic Plan. While the I&D Director will interface across all practice groups and functions to address these concerns, the I&D Director will report to the Chief Practice Partner and work closely with the Chair of the Firmwide I&D Committee (including the committee’s various affinity groups), Chair of the Firmwide Women’s Committee, and Human Resources to implement, reinforce and advance the components of our Firm’s I&D strategy, and will report such activity to the Firm Chair and the Policy Committee. This is a new position for the Firm. This role requires a thought leader who is highly capable of executing and delivering measurable results across the organization and collaborating with key senior business and function leaders.
The I&D Director is expected to travel among the Firm’s offices and to work the hours necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this position, and can reside in the Atlanta, New York or Washington, DC office.
Essential Functions: In collaboration with the Chief Practice Partner and the Chairs of the Firmwide I&D Committee and Women’s Committee respectively, the I&D Director will:
• Develop and execute annual I&D strategic and action plans and ensure plan items are prioritized and operationalized.
• Collaborate with the Firmwide I&D Committee, Office I&D Committees and Committee Heads to create and implement the strategic plan and initiatives.
• Ensure I&D strategies are aligned with practice groups and administrative functions and appropriately positioned within the Firm.
• Develop strategy for integration of I&D into Firm management and leadership initiatives.
• Develop meaningful metrics, tools, and analytics that enable leadership to evaluate I&D performance and integration and effectiveness of the firm’s I&D strategy.
• Work with Human Resources department to enhance processes and procedures for internal and external diversity data reporting and analysis.
• Serve as the I&Dinformation resource to the Firm’s Management, including the Operating Group and Policy Committee.
• Manage external and internal inquiries regarding I&D.
• Be the brand I&D ambassador for the Firm; participate in panels, conferences, and other events, promote Firm image externally and develop broad relationships with clients, law schools, minority bars, and other organizations.
• Engage with the client RFP process, ensuring that our legal teams are well prepared to tell our I&D story. Participate in client RFP meetings, as requested.
• Design and implement approaches to collaborating with clients to advance our diversity objectives.
• Work with the Chair of the I&D Committee to set and manage the Firm’s I&D budget with an emphasis on areas with the greatest potential for ROI.
• Work with the recruiting teams and hiring personnel to increase the pipeline of qualified attorneys from demographic backgrounds historically under-represented in the practice of law and at the Firm and monitor trends in the recruiting and selection processes.
• Partner with those responsible for professional development and other specialist teams to integrate I&D into firm’s training, mentoring, and professional development processes and procedures.
• Provide or arrange for core diversity training programs and workshops.
• Collaborate with the Chairs of the Firmwide Women’s Committee and Firmwide I&D Committee to develop and implement strategic goals related to the hiring, retention and advancement of women and other under-represented groups; ensure the goals of the Firmwide Women’s Committee are integrated into a unified Firmwide Inclusion and Diversity Strategic Plan, and are similarly prioritized, operationalized and successfully implemented.
• Serve as a thought leader in the I&D discipline and workforce culture transformation. Build and maintain strong relationships with practice groups, teams, offices and functional leaders to leverage I&D related marketing opportunities.
• Work collaboratively with the firm’s Marketing team to build the Firm’s reputation as a leader in I&D, including by developing I&D content for the Firm’s website, intranet, and library of marketing collateral.
• Provide input to the Chairman, Chief Practice Partner, Practice Group Chairs and Managing Partners regarding diverse partner members serving in management roles, provide guidance on equal opportunity and metrics accounting, and provide support in the area of I&D to the compensation process.
• Maintain and continue to develop expert knowledge of I&D by researching effective best practices, monitoring industry developments, evaluating emerging trends, and conducting benchmark comparisons.
• Regularly consult and engage with external I&D professionals to identify best practices and determine applicability to the Firm by attending conferences/events, networking with relevant external professionals, and maintaining membership in the Legal Professional and the Association of Law Firm Diversity Professionals (ALFDP) or similar organizations.
• Oversee execution of all diversity meetings, projects, and events (e.g., panel discussions, speakers, co-sponsorships with diverse groups / organizations, summer associate program diversity events, professional development programming, and pipeline programs).
BakerHostetler, an AM Law 100 firm, represents clients around the globe. With offices coast to coast, our nearly 1,000 attorneys litigate cases and resolve disputes to advance our clients’ interests and manage enterprise risk, navigate the laws and regulations that shape the global economy, and help clients develop and close deals that fuel their strategic growth.
BakerHostetler is a full-service law firm with strength in litigation, business, intellectual property, labor and employment, tax, and data privacy and security. We distinguish ourselves through our commitment to the highest standard of client care. Our firm was founded on three core principles: (i) to provide timely, responsive, and high-quality legal services; (ii) to develop and sustain mutually beneficial, long-term relationships with each of our clients; and (iii) to be generous with both time and money to the communities where we work. In the past five years, our firm has been recognized as the most rapidly rising law firm brand in the United States.
BakerHostetler has been named to the industry’s “Client Service 30” for five straight years, has been recognized as one of the “24 Firms GCs Love the Most,” and a “Best Value Leader.”
We consistently nurture a collegial approach among our lawyers, assuring effective teamwork in handling client work, while maintaining a culture of providing exceptional legal counsel with a clear focus on value. We are committed to the continuous development of our people and of the resources essential to delivering effective and distinctive legal services worldwide.
Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and at least three references to Laura Thomas:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Education, Experience and Skills Required
• At least 10-15 years of prior in-depth experience in professional services, law, academia, non-profit or other industry with at least 5 years of experience as an I&D professional.
• Bachelor’s degree required; additional advanced degree a plus.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, presentation and organizational skills.
• Highly skilled project manager with expertise in creating and maintaining project plans, status reports, budgets, communication and change management plans.
• Demonstrated leadership qualities, including excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills, strategic and innovative thinking, an ability to persuade and influence, and strong professional presence.
• Proven experience in developing and implementing I&D strategies and programs.
• Strong team building and organizational skills, including setting priorities, planning, structuring project deliverables and problem solving.
This position can reside in one of these three offices: Atlanta, New York or Washington, DC.
Additional Salary Information: Salary determined by experience and market.
For more than a century, BakerHostetler has maintained an unwavering
dedication to the highest standards of client service. As our clients continue
to evolve in today’s dynamic and changing business world, so do we. With
nearly 1,000 attorneys across 14 offices coast to coast, we provide clients
with sophisticated, nuanced and innovative legal counsel. Leveraging the
firm’s strong foundation, we work with clients with global footprints to
recognize and address their most complex and critical business, advocacy
and regulatory issues.
The values we share are the same ideals on which our firm was founded:
superior client service grounded in the development of long-term client
relationships, generosity within the communities where we work, and
dedication to a culture of respect and teamwork. We embrace people of
different backgrounds and viewpoints because doing so makes us a stronger
law firm and enables us to provide the most effective counsel to our clients.
Under the leadership of a new chairman who resides in our Washington,
D.C. office, the firm adopts transformational technologies and innovation to
continue to provide cutting-edge solutions to our clients.