Job No: 493850 Work Type: Staff Full-time Department: Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law Location: Brookdale Center, 55 Fifth Avenue, NY, NY Categories: Academic Administration, Administrative Support
Position Summary: The Director of Academic Success will provide assistance to students to help them develop the skills needed to succeed academically. The position reports to and is supervised by the Dean of Students as part of the Cardozo Division of Student Services.
Position Responsibilities: • Devise and implement programming that addresses class preparation, time management, case synthesis, outlining, and exam writing skills for one-on-one, small group, and large class presentations.
• Develop and disseminate materials and resources on the skills and information needed for success in law school (print handouts, video tutorials, and website updates and class announcements)
• Assess, triage, and respond to student requests for tutoring and academic support with one-on-one tutoring, academic guidance and academic advising • Evaluate the need for peer tutoring or academic support teaching assistants and implement appropriate programming
• Coordinate with student groups, administration, and faculty to increase student participation in academic success programming, assess the efficacy of academic success efforts and introduce initiatives to promote better learning outcomes, including bar exam success
• Collaborate with faculty and administrators on aspects of bar exam support and plans and programs to help improve Cardozo graduates' bar passage rate
• Teach and further develop existing intervention courses in academic success and bar support; opportunities to innovate new intervention courses available
• Collect, evaluate and report on data related to the efficacy of academic success initiatives
Experience & Educational Background:
• J.D. degree from an A.B.A. approved law school; strong law school credentials
• Ideal candidates will have experience working in a higher education setting in the areas of academic assistance, academic counseling or similar administrative, teaching, or practice experience
Skills & Competencies:
• Possess excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, and an interest in and ability to build meaningful learning relationships with students;
• Foster, encourage, and facilitate open communication and an atmosphere of open expression and possess an understanding of the academic engagement challenges of the current generation of law students;
The Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law is a leader in legal education, located in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village. The law school is renowned for its program in intellectual property, which includes the FAME Center for Fashion, Arts, Media and Entertainment Law. Cardozo Law has a long tradition of public advocacy and is the birthplace of the Innocence Project and the home of our Center for Rights and Justice. Cardozo offers a world-class faculty and encourages creative thinking and innovation in the legal profession. Cardozo provides students with a strong foundation in legal theory combined with practical hands-on experience in a variety of areas including criminal law, civil rights law, and business law. The school prides itself on creating a vibrant and warm community for faculty, staff and students.
A division of Yeshiva University, Cardozo Law School offers an excellent compensation package, and a broad range of employee benefit plans. The law school is a secular institution within a religious university and welcomes people of all religions, ethnic backgrounds, races and sexual identities.