Attorney Professional Development, Professional Legal Management
The Professional Development Manager will manage all aspects of professional development for mid-level and senior associates in the Litigation practice group.
Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Support staffing partners in our White Collar, Antitrust, Civil Litigation, and IP Litigation practice areas, focusing primarily on White Collar and Antitrust.
· Advise 4th – senior associates in the litigation department and assist with staffing 1st - 3rd year associates as needed.
· Monitor associates' availability and professional development.
· Create reports for litigation partners to assist with staffing and utilization
· Coordinate with Special Counsel for Pro Bono to ensure that Pro Bono matters are staffed promptly and efficiently.
· Coordinate the performance evaluation process for litigation associates and counsel.
· Prepare written review summaries for all mid-level and senior litigation associates.
· Provide oral summary reports on associates and counsel during review meetings and help identify performance issues and training needs.
Orientation & Integration of New and Lateral Associates
· Conduct orientation for first year and lateral litigation associates.
· Manage the Career Advisor Program, making associate/partner matches, developing social and other programs to support the program, tracking participation among partners and associates.
· Meet regularly with all mid-level and senior associates to monitor morale, answer questions, and address any concerns.
· Analyze exit interview responses and data; suggest responsive measures as appropriate.
· Make recommendations for improving associate recruiting and retention.
· Organize regular social gatherings for litigation associates
· Create and or track associates’ experience in order to maximize the variety of work, exposure to different partners and senior associates, and development of new skills.
· Work with Litigation Training Committee and other PD managers to organize training programs and see through to execution.
· Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
· Able to propose creative solutions to challenging problems.
· Determination and ability to project confidence essential.
· Familiarity with Excel and comfortable creating and presenting PowerPoint and other presentations upon request expected.
· Must have excellent leadership skills and be able to inspire confidence among associates and firm leaders.
· Availability during normal office hours is essential and responsiveness to email after hours and on weekends is expected.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality of personnel and other sensitive matters is critical.
· Bachelor’s degree required, JD preferred.
· Minimum 3-5 years of experience with collaborating with partners in a large law firm setting expected.
About Davis Polk & Wardwell
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP (including its associated entities) is an elite global law firm with world-class practices across the board. Clients know they can rely on Davis Polk for their most challenging legal and business matters. Our approximately 1,000 lawyers located in 10 offices in the world’s key financial centers and political capitals collaborate seamlessly to deliver exceptional service, sophisticated advice and creative, practical solutions. Visit davispolk.com.